Monday 11 July 2011

Da Vinci again

On a recent trip to a car boot sale, three things became clear.

1 Every other household has a copy of the Da Vinci Code.

2 Said households are prepared to sell it for 50p or less.

3 Contrary to popular opinion, it is possible to get sunburnt in two hours in Nottinghamshire.

It made me remember just how many copies he sold. I think I once read 40 million worldwide. Though slated by many, Stephen Fry called it, "Arse gravy of the worst kind," I actually sort of enjoyed reading it. Not a classic definately, and the flashbacks to his lectures were more than cringeworthy. But I've read worse thrillers. I've read better ones too, but I've read worse ones. I suppose one measure of success, as a writer, is seeing a copy of your book for 50p at a car boot sale.

I bought a bike rack for the car too. Only a tenner. Bargain. Mrs Pie says It'll live in the shed along with all the other crap, but it won't. It's different this time. It will get used. Next sunday, or maybe the week after...

No comments:

Post a Comment